Silver gilt of 55 inches in length. Made in London in 1700 by F. Garthorne. This mace was presented to the Borough of Richmond by the then two sitting Members of Parliament for the Borough, the Hon. Henry Mordaunt and Thomas Yorke Esq..
On the large projecting knob at the bottom of the handle is engraved, "The gift of Hon. Henry Mordaunt and Thomas Yorke Esq., the Representatives in Parliament for the Corporation of Richmond. Anno Domini 1714". On the head are depicted the common seal, the Mordaunt arms argent, a chevron between three ostioles sable, crest, in an Earls coronet, the bust of a Moor, couped at the shoulders, habited in cloth of gold, all proper, wreathed about the temples argent, a saltire, azure, crest, a monkey's head, erased proper, with a rose between each of the arms. Around it are several figures and devices embossed, as four females, with hair turned back, fastened by a studded comb, instead of two arms, two pieces of foliage springing from the shoulders, and the body couped in the middle, the lower parts terminating in seaweed. Between the females are a portcullis with two chains ending in rings, the Badge of Henry VII and Henry VIII, a rose and thistle springing from the same branch, a fleur de lis, and a harp, all under crowns, and each between G.R.. At the top of all the Crown of England.
At some time in 1940/50's one of the supporting pieces, a scrolled bracket below the head of the mace, was detached from the handle. This was given a very poor repair, presumably by a Borough worker on the instruction of his employers, common plumbers solder was used on this beautiful mace. The town council the successors of the old Borough had the good sense to have the mace properly repaired and restored by a competent Goldsmith in the late 1990's. This mace is borne by the Senior Sergeant at Mace before the Mayor on all civic occasions, it being carried on the right shoulder and at a slope. When the mace is attendant at a march past of military units or a Remembrance Day parade, the Senior Sergeant at Mace will "Present" the Great Mace to the Colours or Standards as they pass before the Mayor, this being a mark of civic respect.
Silver gilt of 14 inches and a weight of 25.5 ozs. Made in York in 1650 by James Plummer.
Round the top of the mace are embossed, a rose and crown, the crest or the arms of the town of Richmond, a harp, and St. Georges cross, each between the figure of a man with his arms across his breast, a bushy beard and hair, couped at the middle, the lower part has a head in the centre with festoons about it, terminating in fruit and foliage. The top rim is crowned and studded with roses. On the lid are the arms of France, England, Scotland and Ireland quartered in one shield; above it "C.II.R 1660", round it "Robert Wilson, Alderman, in that happt year of His Majesty's Restoration"; at the bottom of the handle is a spreading rose.
This mace is borne by the Junior Sergeant at Mace before the Mayor on all civic occasions, it being carried on the left shoulder and at a slope. Unlike the Great Mace this mace is never "Presented". The Town Council had the mace extensively repaired, restored and re-guilded in the 1980's at The Goldsmiths Hall, London.
Silver of 14.5 inches in length and of a weight of 14ozs. There are no hallmarks or maker's marks. At the bottom of the handle the cup and crown are broken off. On the top are the arms of France and England quartered, with "CHARLES II REX" over them; this is a late insert. This mace is probably the first mace ever borne by a Chief Magistrate of Richmond
This mace is much nearer the design of the old fighting mace having at the bottom of the handle three ornamental flanges. It is fortunate that this important piece of pre-Civil war silver has survived. Most civic plate of that era was melted down by both sides to pay for their armies. Legend has it that the mace was "hidden in plain sight" by using it as a sugar crusher. At that time sugar was not refined, but came in large blocks, which had to be broken up before use. Could be the cause of the damage to the lower part of the mace?. As far as can be ascertained the Mayor of Richmond is the only Mayor in Britain to carry his own mace as a symbol of his Civic authority.
Purchased by Public Subscription at a cost of £250 and made by W. Robinson, Jeweller of Richmond in 1872 during the Mayorality of Thomas Thomson.
The great part of the chain is of 18 carat gold but the wreaths and guilds are enamelled on solid 22 carat gold. The chain comprises of a facsimile of the ancient common seal of the Corporation of Richmond in the centre, 13 enamelled shields, equi-distant, representing the arms of the ancient guilds of the town arranged in order thus,
The Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers Company, The Drapers, Vintners and Surgeons Company, The Blacksmiths Company, The Skinners Company, The Cappers Company, The Fullers and Dyers Company, The Tanners Company, The Masons, Wallers and Lime Burners Company, The Carpenters and Joiners Company, The Saddlers, Bridlers, Glaziers, Coopers, Bakers, Hosiers and Painters Company, The Cordwainers and Curriers Company, The Tailors Company, The Butchers Company.
These are separated by embossed enamelled devices of the white roses of the Plantagenets of the House of York, surrounded by the rays of the sun, and with the red and white roses of the House of York and Lancaster combined.
The badge or jewel represents the arms of the town granted to the Corporation on 21st August in the 5th year of the reign of Charles II. A.D. 1665. The whole being encircled by a continuous wreaths of white roses, the cognizance of the House of York.
The chain and badge or jewel are of 18 carat gold. The badge or jewel was presented to the then Mayoress, Mrs T.H. Singleton by the President and members of the North Yorkshire and South Durham Cyclists Meet in 1922. The badge or jewel is smaller but exact replica of the badge on the Mayoral chain and was worn on a blue ribbon. In 1929 Alderman George R. Wade J.P. on the occasion of the 600th Anniversary of the granting of the first Royal Charter to the Borough, had a 18 carat gold chain fitted to the badge.
We are deeply grateful to the late Alan M. Wilcox, Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997, for all the information regarding the town silver. Click on the links below for more information on the Civic plate that can be viewed at the Green Howards Regimental Museum, Richmond.
A cylindrical salter the body cased with scrolling leaves and three oval cartouches being line decorated. Above and bolew is a bead border. The slepped foot is of skirt form. The deep sunken centre is engraved with three merchants's marks and incribed, "Given in 1595 by Mr. Cotterell to be used by the Chief Magistrate for the time being".
Made in London 1589-90. Makers mark a branch but name unknown.
Alderman Cotterell was born in Dublin and educated in Law at Trinity College. He practiced law in Richmond in the Archdeaconry Court which conducted its business in premises adjoining Trinity Chapel, now the Green Howards Museum. Cotterell married a Richmond widow Anne Gower (nee Wray). She came from a distinguished family her brother, Sir Christopher Wray was Lord Chief Justice of England in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. The family lived at St. Nicolas, a mansion on the eastern outskirts of Richmond. He took an active part in Richmond affairs investing money in the expanding lead mining industry in Swaledale, and being the first Alderman (the equivalent of a modern Mayor) under the new Elizabethan Charter of 1576. Soon afterwards he moved to York taking his oath as, "Examiner" before the Lord President of the Council of the North in November 1578. In his will of 1597 he left three salters one each to Dublin, Richmond and York, only the Richmond Salter has survived. While the fate of the Dublin salter in unknown, York's salter was melted down in 1643 for coinage during the Civil War. Also under his will he left the sum of £8 to be paided annually to the incumbent of the living of St. Mary the Virgin, the Parish Church of Richmond and is still paid. The Cotterell Salter has therefore been in the possession of the town for more than four hundred years.
©Copyright of Alan M. Wilcox Town Clerk 1985-1997.
A silver chalice the plain bell shaped bowl is inscribed at the top, “This boulle given by Robert Willance to the Incorporate Alderman and Burgesses of Richmond to be used by the Alderman for the time being and to be redelivered by him or his exer or assignes to his successors for ever 1606.
The thread domed foot rises from an egg and dart cast rim. Inscribed “ Given as a thank offering for his great escape from death in a riding accident”.
Made in London 1595. Makers mark AB over a tun.
Robert Willance was a native of Westmoreland (present day Cumbria) who settled in Richmond as a successful Draper, he also invested in the new lead mines in Swaledale. He was an Alderman and a Freeman of the Company of Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers of Richmond. The name Robert Willance in connected with a marvellous story. There is no one in or near Richmond who has not heard of Willance Leap. In 1606 he was out hunting on the high ground on the northern bank of the river Swale when he was surprised by fog. Willance was mounted on a fractious young horse which to his dismay bolted with him, towards the edge of Whitecliffe Scar. Unable to control his mount, horse and rider plunged over the edge to the rocks 200 feet below.
The horse was killed by the fall, but Willance only sustained a badly broken leg. With presence of mind he disentangled himself from the horse, and drawing his hunting knife, he slit open the belly of the animal and placed his fractured leg inside to protect it from the cold. This precaution, in all probality, saved his life. His leg however, had to be amputated and he would hunt no more.
Two years after his accident he became Alderman of Richmond. The lost leg, tradition tells us was laid under a massive stone in the churchyard of St. Mary the Virgin, Richmond. He died and was buried beside his leg on 12th February 1616. Today a memorial stands on the site of his famous leap.
© Copyright of Alan M.Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.
A silver chalice, the flat based U-shaped bowl being inscribed to the top “This bole was made by Francis Thompson and John Binks, Wardens of ye Company of Cordweiners of Richmond, the 26th of February anno domi 1641” The stem of plain baluster form rising from a low domed circular foot.
Made in London in 1641, Makers mark B.F.
A fascinating part of Richmond’s history, the cup disappeared from Richmond for many years, when the Cordweiners Guild was disbanded in 1838, after the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the cup was presented to its last Warden, George Croft a well known local politician. It is possible that the cup found its way into the possession of Sir John Noble and of his son also John, both notable collectors of fine silver, before it was sold in 1951. It is not known where it has been since then until it reappeared for sale in a London fine arts house in 1998.It was purchased by public subscription and with a help of a generous grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. It is known from the records of the Guild that the cup was valued at £5, and that the sum of 1.s 6d was spent on its repair in 1742. Few items of corporate silver generally survived from such a date, as in most places, including York, it was all melted down during the English Civil War.
A plain cylindrical tankard with a stepped skirt foot. The body being inscribed “The Snow Tankard. The gift of Mark Millbank Bart and John Hutton Senr Esq. To ye Corporation after a disputed race in a great snowstorm at Easter”.
Made in York in 1686 by Marmaduke Best
A dispute had arisen between two local landowners, Sir Mark Millbank and John Hutton, what the dispute was about is unknown but they decided to settle the matter by staging a horse race on the Richmond Racecourse. This race was to be held at Easter 1868, winner takes all. From this statement in can be assumed that a sum of money was involved. The race was duly started but there came such a snowstorm that the race had to be abandoned, therefore there was no declared winner. Rather than race again, or go to law to settle the dispute, both parties agreed that such monies should be spent on a piece of fine silver, which should be presented to the town of Richmond. The Snow Tankard is one of the oldest sporting trophies in the country, and during the 1980’s it was displayed by the Victoria and Albert Museum in London in their exhibition of sporting trophies.
©Copyright of Alan M. Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.
An oblong oak box the lid carved with the arms of Richmond in relief and the arms of the Company of Skinners and the Company of Glovers on either side. The interior is lined with white sycamore and green baize. The box was presented to the town council by John Blenkiron Snr. Esq., to mark his year as Warden of the Company of Fellmongers. He commissioned the box to be made by Phillip Bastow of Reeth who had been an apprentice in his employ, and a winner of the Fellmongers Prize.
THE COMMON SEAL
The wide short stem of wire-form and pierced with three holes. The matrix being the effigy of God, depicted as an old man holding a shroud, having the baby Christ crucified within a tabernacle, with on the Dexter side the arms of France and England quartered, and on the sinister side, the arms of the Earl’s of Richmond and the Dukes of Brittany and the gothic inscription, “SIGILLIUM COTE BURGENLIN VILLE RICHEMOND”. On the reverse are the gothic initials mM. This seal was dated by Mr Hunter-Blair as 1407 and is the oldest piece of silver in the town council’s possession.
THE LASCELES SEAL
A circular seal with a six-sided stem and a domed top. The stem being engraved, “This seal was geven to the towne of Richmond by Ser Thomas Lasceles Knight in the yeare of our lord 1603. He beinge the Alderman there”. The matrix having the crest of Richmond, the edge engraved, “ Sigillium Burgi Richmondii”. Thomas Lasceles was also the Priest of the Chapel of Trinity, now part of the building which houses the Green Howard’s Museum. Maker unknown.
THE CHARLES II SEAL
The navette shaped seal has a wide stem being pierced and partly pinned. When the pin is removed the rose crest parts from the rest of the seal. The matrix being the crest, coat of arms and motto of Richmond, engraved, “S.D. NIAD CAPERSO INFRA BURG RICHM CONCES TEMP WIL WETWANG”.
Made in 1668 by John Plummer of York.
This seal was created by the direct command of Charles II in his Royal Charter to the town of Richmond given under his hand in the year of Our Lord 1668. In his charter he states that a seal of two pieces shall be created, the greater part to be held by the Mayor, and the lesser part by the Town Clerk. The Town Clerk could not take up his office until approved by his Sovereign. It therefore, required the presence and agreement of Mayor and Clerk to pass the seal and ordinance in the town. Thus, in this charter did Charles II lay out the future governance of this town of Richmond.
A cylindrical silver tankard standing on scroll topped feet. The front is engraved with a flower head on a straight stalk, with leaf and flower scrolls. One flower head terminates in a semi-gryphen, and the other in a devil. On each side of the handle is a flower, one being a tulip, and the other an iris. The underside engraved, “Repaired 1862- George Smurthwaite Jnr., Mayor”. The cover is engraved with the porcupine crest of the Wetwange family, the whole within a leaf scroll. Around the rim is engraved, “HOC GRATITUDINIS SUCE TESSEAM DEGEL WILHELMUS WETWAN B UGE PREMUS… IOR S BURGI RICHMOND. CREATUS MAY 23RD ANO 1668”. (Given by William Wetwange, the first Mayor of Richmond on 23rd May 1668, the day he took office)
Made in York in 1667 by John Plummer. Weight 20 ozs
William Wetwange was a prosperous Hosier in Richmond, and Freeman of the company of Drapers, Vintners and Surgeons of Richmond. He was appointed Mayor by Royal Command of Charles II in his Charter of 1668. On his death five years later in 1673 he left in his Will the sum of £868-18s-5d, a considerable sum of money in those days. He had three sons, Thomas a Richmond shopkeeper, John like his father a wealthy hosier in Richmond, and Francis who left to seek his fortune in London.
The hemispherical Monteith bowl is chased with six scrolling panels. One panel is engraved with the arms of Richmond, another with a stags head erased, holding in its mouth a branch of oak, the crest of Readshaw. On the underside of the bowl is engraved, “Richmond Novr 4 1754 out of ye great regard, and affection I have for this Corporation I give this bowl to be used by ye Mayor for ye time being forever Cuth. Readshaw Mayor”. The detached wavy rim has eight scrolls with shell decoration, on the rim is engraved “IBE”
Made in London in 1700 by Richard Timbrell. Makers mark struck four times on the rim.
Cuthbert Readshaw was Mayor of Richmond in 1754 and 1768. A wine merchant he, was a freeman of the Company of Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers of Richmond, and was Warden of the Company in 1738, 1747 and 1756. He remained an active Freeman until his death in 1776. An Alderman he had a love-hate relationship with his colleagues on the Corporation, mostly over rents and taxes. In 1762 the town clerk was ordered to: “Immediately bring ejectments against Cuth Readshaw and his tenants for the recovering of lands rented of the Corporation, and for this ungenteel behaviour towards the Mayor and committee appointed for the settling of the Corporation revenues. It is ordered for the future that he holds no lands of the Corporation”. A note was added, that the matter was settled before proceedings. He comes down the pages of Richmond’s history as a gambler with a love of bending the rules. Alderman Readshaw is also remembered as the builder of a summerhouse in the design of a “Chinese Temple” on Round Howe on the South Bank of the River Swale.
A two-handled cup with a bell shaped body, on one side is engraved script, “The gift of George Moore of East Witton to the Mayor and Corporation of Richmond forever as a grateful acknowledgement of their honest and zealous endeavour’s to the discover the execrable murderers of his kinsman, John Moore of Gilling, perpetrated December 16th 1758. Henry Lanchester, Mayor”.
Made in London in 1757 by Thomas Cooke II and Richard Gurney.
John Moore was a whitesmith or tinsmith who weekly came to the market at Richmond to sell his wares. On the 16th December 1758 on his way back home from the market he was robbed and murdered, the crime taking place on the Gilling road near Oliver Ducket.
The Mayor of Richmond being the Chief Magistrate and Coroner attempted to discover the perpetrator but was unsuccessful, and a verdict of murder by person or persons unknown was recorded. John Moore was interred in the churchyard at Gilling, but it was later discovered that the crime had not taken place in the Borough of Richmond, but had in fact been committed just inside the Parish of Aske. A second coroners court was convened, a further attempt made to discover the murderer, again with no success and the same verdict recorded.
©Copyright of Alan M. Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997
A pair of silver salvers, the centre of which is engraved with a crest of a hand holding a wreath below the motto "VIRUTE" (the crest of the Cooper family). Whithin a later chased surround of scrolls and flowers, and applied cast border of spume work. The reverse side incribed, "Presented to the Corporation of Richmond by Florence Riley to mark the three years that Alderman and Mrs Dunkley have served as Mayor and Mayoress of the Borough 24th November 1960"
Made in London in 1765 by Thomas Hannah and John Crouch the Second
A benefactress to Richmond, Mrs Riley gave many donations to the town. Her husband was a Director of Riley & Nate of Darlington. Alderman and Mrs Dunkley were Mayor and Mayoress in 1958, 1959 and 1960.
A silver salver with a Bath border and standing on four scroll feet, engraved with the arms of the Borough of Richmond, Yorkshire and inscribed, “Presented to the Mayor of Richmond Yorkshire (Alderman J.F.Davidson) by his colleagues on the council on the occasion of his marriage May 1938”, and engraved with a number of facsimile signatures. Engraved on the reverse, “Presented to the Council by Mrs. Davidson”
Made in Sheffield in 1938 by Henry Atkin.
Returned to the Council to become part of the civic plate, after the death of her husband.
The shield shaped gorget being engraved with a coat of arms of two longbows set back to back, flanked by two sheaves of ten arrows. The crest is an Archer.
Below the arms is the motto, "VIRTUTI FEDO ET SAGITTIS" translated as, "My trust in my arrows and valour". Below which is engraved, "Richmond Archers 1785". The top of the shield has two holes to enable the gorget to be attached to a silver chain.
Made in London in 1782 by Richard Lee.
This gorget was the badge of office of the Captain of the Richmond Company of Archers and would have been worn arround the neck pendant fashion.
It was presented to Richmond Town Council by Mrs. W. Metcalfe of Richmond.
A hunting horn of typical form. The front being engraved with a coat of arms of two longbows set back to back, flanked by two sheaves of ten arrows. .
The crest is an archer, and the motto, "VIRTUTI FEDO ET SAGITTIS" translated as, "My trust in my arrows and valour". Engraved "Richmond Archers 1835".
Made in London in 1835 by William Ross
The horn would be worn by the Lieutenant of the Company and would have been sounded at the begining and end of every contest. The livery or the Richmond Company of Archers was hodden grey trousers, and a green jacket trimmed with yellow cord, its buttons made of horn and bearing the Company's coat of arms.
The cutter made to cut two cigars of different size, being inscribed on the top, "Presented to the Officers of the 3rd Batallion of the Prince of Wales Own, The Yorkshire Regiment by Major J.W.Lodge 1891" .
One side is engraved "To the Borough of Richmond from the Officers of the Green Howards 1970".
The front is engraved with the badge of the West Yorkshire Militia and the rear with the badge of the Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment.
Made in London in 1890 by William Gibson and John Langman.
A plain oblong cedar wood lined cigarette box the lid inscribed "To W.W. Foster Esq from G.A. Roper with grateful thanks for services rendered during his two years as Mayor. 1924 and 1925".
Made in Birmingham in 1925 by Sanders & Mackenzie.
This cigarette box was returned to the Richmond Borough Corporation on the death of Mr. Foster in 1955.
At his own request it was to become part of the civic plate.
A vase of slightly tapering form and the lip everted. The body being plain at the top, the remainder decorated with fluting and having a stepped foot, being engraved below the rim, “Presented to Alderman W. Robinson OBE JP by members of Richmond Borough Council in appreciation of his 20 years devoted service including the Mayoralty 1938-1945”.
Made in London in 1893 by Carrington & Co.
Alderman “Billy” Robinson in addition to his office as Mayor throughout the war years was involved in the War Saving Scheme, Civil Defence, the Royal British Legion, and the Green Howard’s Association. He held the office of President of Richmond Meet from 1940 to 1947, a record for the organization.
A Freeman of the Company of Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers he was Warden in 1936. A long serving Freemason he was a Past Master of the Lennox Lodge of Freemasons in Richmond.
The oval fruit bowl being half fluted and having a gadrooned edge with scallop shell motifs at intervals. The handles of floral decorated C scroll form, the body standing on a half fluted spreading foot. Above the fluting in the plain area is inscribed, “Presented to William Walker Foster (Together with the Freedom of the Borough) By the Mayor, Alderman and Councillors on his retirement from the office of Town Clerk and is appreciation of his long and faithful and unselfish service, William Robinson Mayor”.
Made in Sheffield in 1897 by John Round & Co.
William Walker Foster was Town Clerk from 1919 to 1941 a period of 22 years, Richmond’s longest serving clerk during the 20th century. A keen cyclist in his early years, he was President of the Richmond Cycling Club, a stalwart of the Richmond Meet and a judge at most local cycling events.
An inkstand consisting of a rectangular tray with two grooves for pens, and having a central cut-glass inkwell in cubic form, and having a silver lid engraved "Presented to the Borough of Richmond by the Royal Armoured Corp Training Regiment, 17th November 1967", on four bracket feet.
Made in Birmingham in 1898 by Elkington & Co.
Presented in recognition of the good relationships between the Regiment and the Town.
A large two handed cup with cover made in the Hugeunot style. The bowl of bell shape, the top being plain inscribed, “Presented to the Corporation of the Borough of Richmond, York’s, by the Mayor (Captain Gerald Walker) as a memorial to the safe return from South Africa of the Volunteers of the Borough. 1901”.
The centre of the bowl having an applied band beneath which is cast applied strap work decoration. The handles of double C scroll form, the whole standing on a stepped foot. The lid having matched strap work decoration to that on the body.
Made in London in 1900 by Mappin Bros. Weight 33ozs
Captain Gerald Walker was Mayor of Richmond in 1901 and 1902. A keen sportsman he was a founder member of the North York’s and South Durham Cyclists Meet, now the Richmond Meet in 1892. His comic oration on the care of pigs, delivered from the steps of the Obelisk whilst holding a very lively piglet, is described in the press of the time, as being truly remarkable.
A rare George VI 1st Type Bronze medal engraved with the name of the recipient John Weller on the rim.
The medal was awarded to John Weller, a Process Worker at the SPRA Works at Catterick Railway Station for his outstanding bravery when an ammunition train exploded destroying most of the station and surrounding area during WW1. Presented to the town by his family.
His citation published in the London Gazette of the 9th June 1944 was as follows: “His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to award the Edward Medal to John Weller, in recognition of his gallantry in the following circumstances”.
“When a violent explosion took place at an ammunition railhead, Mr. Weller was in a hut 40 yards away. The hut collapsed and he was blown a considerable distance. The explosion was followed immediately by extensive fires in the surrounding area, caused mainly by grenades and incendiary bombs scattered from adjoining wagons”.
Mr. Weller, though shaken, returned to the hut, which was already on fire. He was joined by another man, who though injured himself, was able to assist him to extricate three other injured men from the ruins of the hut and carry them to safety. They then assisted in the rescue of killed and injured from other burning and wrecked buildings. Mr. Weller continued the work until emergency parties arrived and took over the work of rescue and fire fighting. Mr. Weller well knew the area contained other loads of high explosives which might well have exploded. His behaviour showed courage, initiative and determination of a high order.
© Copyright of Alan M. Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997.
A box of rectangular form lined with cedar wood. The lid having a reeded pull piece and matching feet. The top being engraved with a Yorkshire rose and the arms of the Borough of Richmond and inscribed, "To the Borough of Richmond by Major General C.F. Upjohn CBE and all ranks at Catterick Garrison to cemmemorate 50 years of close association 13th June 1964".
Made in Birmingham in 1962 by Charles Green & Sons.
An ashtray the centre being dished and having the cast figure of a Royal Corp of Signals officer in ceremonial dress
The flattened rim being engraved, "Presented by the School of Signals upon thier departure to Blandford, to commemorate 41 years of friendly assosiation.
Made in London in 1964 by Garrard & Son.
The School of Signals left Catterick for Blandford in the middle of the 1960's, this wwas the commencement of the transfer of all Royal Signals to Blandford, finally completed in the early 1990's
Each goblet having a bell shape gilded within, on a baluster stem and having a shallow flared foot, all three standing on a mahogany plinth.
A plate on the plinth is engraved, "Presented to the Borough of Richmond by Councillor Reg Eaton, Mayor 1967, 1968 and 1969.
Councillor Eaton owned and operated the local Dairy business, delivering milk to the Richmond housewives. He was also on the Board of Governors of Richmond Hill School.
A ceremorial sword it has a hilt of wood of spiral form bound with gilt wire. The circular pommel bears the arms of Richmond, Yorkshire, and on reverse the badge of the Royal Air Force. The guard being gilt metal in the form of an RAF eagle. The blade is engraved, “Wilkinson Sword”, “Presented to the Borough of Richmond Yorkshire, by the Royal Air Force Catterick on the occasion of the conferment of the Freedom of Entry to the Borough. 1st July 1971”. The scabbard of grey velvet having gilt mounts at the top, centre and tip. The central mount with Yorkshire rose enamelled in colours.
Made in London in 1970 by Wilkinson Sword.
The sword is carried by a commissioned officer, accompanied by an honour guard of two SNCO’s before the Mayor on all civic processions.
© Copyright of Alan M. Wilcox Richmond Town Clerk 1985-1997
A burr oak box with silver oak leaves and garlands, surrounding the sides having bands of oak leaves and other foliage. The front having a plaque inscribed, “To S.M. Moulton-Barratt Esq. MP with the freedom of the Borough of Richmond. Presented by his bretheren of the Company of Merchant Taylor’s as a sincere testimony of their regards”. Inside the lid is tortoiseshell boulle aplaique, the box contains the original Freedom Scroll and also a copy.
No date or manufacture or makers name is known.
Samuel Moulton-Barratt (1787-1837) was granted the Freedom of the Borough in April 1820, just a month after his election to Parliament. He was a planter in the West Indies, but his main claim to fame was that he was the uncle of Elizabeth Barratt Browning. At this time Richmond had two MP’s, the other being Hon Thomas Dundas, who was also made a Freeman on the same day. On the 7th November 1822 Samuel Moulton-Barratt was made a Freeman of the Company of Mercers, Grocers and Haberdashers of Richmond paying to the Company 3 shillings and 4 pence for the privilege. It would seem that he already had some connections with Merchant Taylor’s of York in view of their presenting him with this casket. He was re-elected to Parliament in 1826, but resigned his seat in 1828 by taking the Chiltern Hundreds, probably to allow his successor, another member of the powerful Dundas family to have his safe Whig seat. He returned to the West Indies where he died in 1837. The casket was returned to the town by his great nephew during the Mayoralty of Councillor R.V.Cross.
© Copyright of Alan M. Wilcox Town Clerk 1985-1997
A salver of circular form having a Bath edge, and standing on three clawed feet being inscribed, “Borough of Richmond 1668-1974. Presented by Councillor Fred Woodall”, and giving details of members and officers of the Council.
Made in Birmingham in 1974 by Bishopton Limited.
This presentation was made to commemorate the end of the Richmond Borough Council under the Local Government Act 1974. Its successors are the Richmondshire District Council and the Town Council. Councillor Woodall was Mayor of Richmond three times, 1955, 1962 and 1978. He arrived in Richmond in 1920 when he enlisted as a Bandsman in the Green Howard’s. He served with the 2nd Battalion until 1930, but was recalled to the Colours in 1939. Along with his fellow bandsmen he acted as stretcher-bearer in France returning to England after being rescued from Dunkirk.
He had a great influence on brass band music in the area forming and conducting the Richmond British Legion Boys Band, which later became The Richmond Silver Band, and conducting the Muker Silver Band. His links with the military continued when he was appointed bandmaster of the Royal Corp of Signals T.A. Band based at Middlesbrough. He was elected to the Council in 1945, a good public servant he had a love of the town and the people he served. Councillor Woodall lived respected and died regretted on 18th October 1978 whilst serving as Mayor of the town.
A two handled cup with stem, standing on a three tier black wooden plinth bearing 26 silver shields engraved with the winners from 1905 to 1956.
The cup in incribed, "Zetland League Cup"
Presented by the Marchioness of Zetland.
The tradition whereby the Mayor of Richmond presents coins to the elderly residents of the town annually in December has its origins in the ancient charter of Elizabeth I in 1576. Christopher Clarkson the 19th century writer in his “History of Richmond” relates that the Audit Money was part of the Fee Farm Rent paid annually to the Crown, to the sum of £12-18s-0p. He goes on to state, “it is now paid by the Mayor for the time being to the acting Receiver General of Crown Rents, who by a grant from Queen Elizabeth I in her 1576 charter to the town, returns the same to him and he distributes it annually to poor tradesmen, decayed housekeepers and other indigenous persons of the town”.
The town council continue to pay annually to the Crown the Fee Farm Rent, but alas for many years now this has not been returned to the Mayor by the Crown Agents. The Audit Money is now provided by the Mayors Fund, and was until 1985 paid in the form of a 50p coin. In 1986 the new Richmond Shilling was first issued. The qualification for the receipt of the Audit Money has changed greatly since the days of Clarkson. Today any lady or gentleman over the age of 60 years, and resident within the town and parish of Richmond is entitled to collect his or her Audit Money from the Mayor.
The main attraction of the coin apart from its uniqueness is its modem form. In size and colour it is based on the old Florin (the old two shilling coin) with a high polish which greatly adds to its appearance. On one side are the arms of Richmond with the Latin inscription, “MATER OMNIUM RICHMONDARIUM” (The mother of all Richmond’s) ELIZABETH REGINA 1576. On the reverse is depicted a view of the Castle and the River Swale taken from a 17th century woodcut. Designed by the Town Clerk Alan M. Wilcox and produced by Birmingham Mint. During the building of HMS Richmond at the Swan Hunter Yard, a Richmond Shilling was places in the keel of the ship by the then Mayor Councillor Ella Devlin.
The interest in the coin was considerable; many requests were received from collectors, but until the Mayor decides otherwise the residential and age qualification will remain the only way to obtain a coin. Two of the coins, at the request of the British Museum, have been placed in the National Coin Collection in London.
In the year 2000 the coin was issued in gold form, and in Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee year it was again issued in gold form with the Queens head replacing the depiction of the Castle.
Sheffield plate maker unknown.
Presented by the Green Howards to mark the closure of the barracks and the transfer of the Regiment to York in 1961, and also in appreciation of the long and happy relationship with the town.
A silver paper knife hall marked on the handle and made in Germany, maker unknown.
Presented by Mr. Sayward.
Presented by Mrs. H. Firby in June 1971.
Mrs Firby was for many years the landlady of the Bishop Blaize Hotel
A gold pendant comprising of a gold drop in the shape of the State of Texas, having a textured finish and an applied coronet setting holding a brilliant cut diamond all on a gold chain.
Maker is inknown
Presented by the Council and citizens of Richmond Texas USA to the "Mother" Richmond during the Mayorality of Councillor J.Metcalfe to celebrate 150 year's history of their Richmond.
A Nepalese Gurkha Kukri the scabbard decorated with silver in the Indian taste applied over green velvet covering, and also having two small fleshing knives with dark wood handles. On the silver mounts are two shields one engraved "Solito" over distinct arms, the other is blank.
Made in 1996. Maker unknown.